EWBC NEWS and EVENTS
- The 2016 Season is around the corner – NEW PLAYERS WELCOME! Contact us today to take the field. The 2016 season runs from May through mid-August but players are welcome to join year round. Would you like to learn more about the EWBC? Contact Us!
- 2016 Pre-Season Open Indoor Workouts – Indoor workouts will take place every Saturday in February and March (except President’s Day Weekend), from 10am-12pm at BASES indoor training facility in Glen Burnie, MD. All returning players and anyone interested in learning more about our league are welcome! Questions? Want more information? Contact Us!
- Congratulations to the USA Baseball Women’s National Team! – The USA WNT took the Gold at the 2015 Pan American games. Congratulations to the EWBC’s Samantha Cobb and Michelle Synder for their contribution to the team’s success. Here’s a link to an article from ESPN about the USWNT: http://espn.go.com/extra/panamgames/story/_/id/13323228/2015-pan-games-different-finales-us-women-teams-baseball-softball
- 2015 Diamond Classic – May 22-25, 2015. Click here for highlights from the 2015 Diamond Classic
- EWBC supports the Fisher House Foundation – click here for how you can help, too! This year’s 2015 Coming Home for Fisher House Foundation kicks off at the Diamond Classic. Contact Us for more information to find out how you can support our Coming Home for Fisher House Foundation initiative.
- Do you Throw Like a Girl? Check out this thought provoking campaign!
2015 UPCOMING EVENTS:
Saturday August 15: Championship Game 1pm – Barncats vs. Flames – Kelley Park, Gaithersburg
**After the Championship Game we will be hosting an “open” consolation game–allowing not only the players from the Blues and Fury to play, but opening this to all players in the league including players who did not meet the playoff eligibility requirements, and players from the BarnCats and Flames. This will be a great opportunity to wrap up the season in a fun, friendly atmosphere giving players a chance to play along side players from other teams, and allowing us to get to know as teammates people we only knew before as competitors.
Sunday August 16: EWBC Hosting Sports United – Mclean High School
The EWBC will be hosting a group of baseball and softball players from Columbia (the country not the city, or the university) as part of the State Department’s Sports United Program. For the past few years the EWBC has had the privilege of being one of a few select area sports programs invited to participate in this initiative. Sports United uses sports as a way to bring together youth from different countries, showing them their common interests and helping to break down misconceptions and barriers that may exist between countries and cultures. We have previously worked with groups from Iraq, Japan and Panama. This year’s group are 16 boys and girls, ages 14-17 who play baseball or softball in Columbia.
We will be holding 2 events with the program–first, from 10am-noon we will be working with the kids at our field at McLean HS and then from 2;30-4:30pm we will be working with the kids at Diamond Sports Training, an indoor baseball and softball facility in Sterling, VA.
We would like to invite all players from the league to consider joining us for one or both of these events. The kids are always very welcoming and excited to meet ball players from the US and its a great chance for us to expose these kids to the idea that baseball is a sport both genders can enjoy.
We are especially interested in having the kids meet other US peers, so we are especially interested in having other teenagers participating in the program, so if you are an EWBC player who is between 14 and 20, if you have teammates that you play baseball or softball with at your high school or travel team, or if you are someone who coaches other youth baseball or softball teams, please contact me to discuss how we can have some of your teammates join us for these events.
Saturday September 26, 2015 – Coed Baseball Battles Cancer Fundraiser – Falls Church High School, Falls Church, VA.
This year’s CBBC Game is set to start by 5pm at Falls Church High School. Details are being finalized, but the field is secured! Please pencil in the event in your calendars and plan to spend the evening with us playing baseball and bidding on Silent Auction items – all for a fantastic cause! Stay tuned for details.
2015 Fundraising Initiatives:
Amazon Smile: for those of you who shop on Amazon, we are registered with Amazon Smile–a fundraiser program offered to charitable organizations, Amazon will donate .5% of your eligible purchases to the league. Just go to http://www.smile.amazon.com and select the Eastern Womens Baseball Conference as your charity and use Amazon Smile to make all your Amazon purchases. Using Amazon Smile gives you access to the same Amazon products and prices as you have via the traditional site, but allows for us to receive a donation based on your total sales.
Please feel free to share this with your family, friends and co-workers–its a great way for us to raise money to help support the league.
Combined Federal Campaign: this year we will again be participating in the Capital Region’s Combined Federal Campaign. For those of you who are federal employees, or have family/friends who are–consider designating the EWBC as your CFC charity of choice. In addition to all the funds we receive as someone’s selected charity, we will also receive a percentage of the undesignated funds –the percentage we receive is in direct relation to the amount of named contributions we obtain, so please share this anyone you know who may be a federal employee–the more donations we receive directly, the greater percentage of undesignated funds we earn.